Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Russian River's Blind Pig and Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast

Before we get started on yet another "catch up" posting, let me tell you about how great of a beer day I am having. First, I get a text from a friend saying Young Veteran Brewing Company is selling extremely limited bottles of their Jet Noise Double IPA and their Big Red Rye! They are a very new brewery and have to hand bottle everything, and this is only the second time they've released bottles. So I dashed over and got one of each! While I was waiting in line for the Jet noise, my favorite craft beer store, Grape and Gourmet, posts on Facebook that Founders Breakfast Stout is in! So that was my next stop, and I got a four pack of that too! So yeah, I'm in a great mood! Now, on to the beer!
First up is Russian River's Blind Pig IPA. I had big hopes since these are the same guys that brought us Pliny the Elder, and I was not disappointed. Blind Pig pours a clear gold with a white head. Fresh, citrus hops are the bulk of the nose. The taste has light, smooth citrus flavors throughout. It has some really great grapefruit notes without being too bitter. The real joy in this is the same as I found in Pliny: balance. This beer is so incredibly fresh and smooth, I think this should be just as actively sought out as Pliny. Sure, I liked Pliny more, but just a little more. What a great brew!

Next up was Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast Rye IPA. Timber Beast pours a hazy gold with a thick off white head. Sweet malts and bread odors on the nose, I realized with a whiff I didn't really know what to expect from this brew. The bread notes from the Rye were really unfamiliar to me. These unfamiliar notes followed through in the taste. There was an herbal/ citrus hop blend on the forefront. The bready flavors follow it up along with a little bite from the alcohol (9% ABV). I suppose I have not had enough Rye IPAs yet to be accustomed to their unique flavor notes, but I enjoy them! I am always down for something new, and I got that with Timber Beast.

Well that's all folks, your caught up on my latest craft beer ventures. Now, I am going to cook up some dinner and crack open that Jet Noise. Sure, I'd like to save it, but its just too good to not drink fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment