Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Bier Garden

Welcome to my first post about beer restaurants in the area! Today I'd like to share with you a little gem out in Portsmouth, VA: The Bier Garden. I had heard about this place a couple years ago, and just had not made it out there until early this past January. Is it worth it? Well I went there a total of three times last month, if that is any sign. This place has it all, but let me break it down for you real quick.

Atmosphere and Service: The Bier Garden is a tiny little nook of a restaurant squeezed between larger establishments in downtown Portsmouth. Step in off the busy streets and you are transported to the home of the German grandmother you may or may not have ever had. It is a homely little place with modest furnishing, including a heated outdoor patio and a bar. It is quiet, with festive German music playing softly in the background. Two out of the three times I went a happy little German lady who I believe is the owner's wife was hanging out in the front room with little ones I assume were her grandchildren. You are hit with a warmth before you even get to the beer. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and beer list. They make you feel at home, and I really dig that.

Food: Of course if you are going out to a restaurant, you are probably there primarily for the food. The first time I was there, I got a Cordon Bleu sandwich on the most heavenly pretzel bun I have ever tasted. I mean you could eat this thing without the sandwich. In fact, they will sell you a fresh warm one on its own so you can do just that! Add a side of tasty, vinegar based potato salad and I'm in heaven. The next couple visits I got bratwurst and knockwurst, both of which were also phenominal. Even if your dinner mates are not into beer (my wife is not), they will still get to enjoy the great food!

Beer: In the end, this is a beer blog, and I am sure that is what you are all interested in. Well fear not, because The Bier Garden has a MASSIVE list of beers available. Their main focus is imports from Belgium and Germany, but they also carry a great selection of craft beers from the states as well. Just don't go in there expecting to get a Bud Light. They don't carry that nonsense. Get yourself a real lager or German bock, you'll be glad you did. Anyways, here are the beers I tried!

First up was an Ayinger Ur-Weisse, a Dunkelweizen weighing in at a very drinkable 5.8% ABV. Ur-Weisse pours a light, hazy gold with a fluffy white head. The nose is nice and light with notes of banana and a hint of wheat. Flavors open up with tart apple flavors that kind of caught me off guard followed by light and amazing banana notes. It finishes light, smooth, and dry. This beer is absolutely delicious. Unfortunately I don't believe it is available in our local Total Wines. I will certainly be checking out Grape and Gourmet to see if they carry it, as this could easily become my go-to summer beverage.

Next up is a Tripel from Corsendonk known both as Agnus and Abbey Pale Ale (7.5% ABV).  It pours a hazy, brown-yellow with a white head. The nose is a strange blend of lemons and apples. It opens up with a really bizarre tartness with some yeast and clove notes. The rest of the flavors are really hard to place. There is a hint of spices, but I couldn't tell you what those spices are. There is also an unusual lemon flavor without being sweet. At first sip I didn't think I cared for this beer, but its complex flavors grew on me as I drank it.

On my next visit I tried one with a heck of a name: Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel (9% ABV). As the name kind of implies, this beer falls in between a couple of styles. It pours a hazy light gold with a stark white head. The nose consists of a slightly bitter banana smell and hints of yeast. The flavors lead out with smooth banana yeasty flavors with a hint of grapefruit. It is really light in the mouth, and finishes quite bitter for a Belgian beer. This beer is an amazing cross between an IPA and a Belgian Tripel. I really enjoy the combination of citrus hops and banana flavored yeast. Luckily, this one is readily available at Total Wine or Whole Foods here in Virginia Beach.

Last up is Hofbräu Münchner Weisse, a 5.1% Hefeweizen from Germany. It pours a hazy gold with a bright white head. The nose is yeasty with notes of banana and pears. Forward notes consist of light, subtle banana flavors. These are followed up with a little spice and tangy pear notes. It is not my favorite Hefeweizen, but it is still a solid offering and worth a try if you are looking for something nice and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment