Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

As you will notice more in the future, I am a sucker for interesting packaging. The image of the old trailer with a tornado caught my eye as I browsed around in my Navy Exchange package store. This imagery and the humorous claim of this beer being "twister-proof" had me at hello.

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass, this beer has a huge, slow fading head. This clear, dark gold brew is attractive as the bottle that contains it. Taking a moment to waft this new beverage, notes of citrus and piney hops hit the nose strong. I have to admit, I had to contain myself at this point as a strong, hop forward beer is my Achilles's heel. The tangy, bitter grapefruit odors follow through in the taste. It is not as overwhelmingly bitter as many big IPA's, but it still has that fresh hop taste that makes me love this style. The head leaves a nice, light lacing on the glass. Am I the only one who is a complete sucker for that? I am not sure why exactly, but I really appreciate the beauty in that. After taste has a hint of sweetness that masks the relatively big 8.5% alcohol content. This is not a beer for your average college student, but if you like IPA's, you absolutely won't be disappointed.

I had never had anything from Boulevard Brewing Company before, but if this is the quality level they produce in all of the beers, I will be trying more in the near future.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment