Tuesday, August 20, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery's Hop Crisis

It appears I have fallen into the habit of posting a couple days after drinking a beer. Fear not, my more easily concerned, motherly readers, I am not drinking at noon on a Tuesday. Saturday evening I had a hankering for a big, flavorful IPA (Surprise!), so I cracked into 21st Amendment's Hop Crisis (9.7%ABV, 94IBU's).

Poured into my IPA glass, the first thing I noticed was this thing had a monstrous, 3+ finger head that faded very slowly. This thick, heavy head left the most lacing I have ever seen. The lacing remained clinging to the sides of the glass long after I finished the beer! This beer is a lighter gold than your average IPA, resembling some of those less desirable, light beers. That is where the similarities end. A sniff of this beast (be sure not to dip your nose in the head) reveals a light, fresh citrus odor. Tasting Hop Crisis reveals a complex "sweet-Bitter-Sweet pattern. At first taste you get the nice, fresh, and sweet citrus flavors that the odor would suggest. This is quickly followed by intense, bitter hops and then quickly by heavy sweet malts. This beer's citrus notes and complexity are absolutely fantastic. I would rate this as one of the top Imperial IPA's I have tried in a long time. If you can find some, get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment