Monday, August 26, 2013

Great Lakes Brewing Company's Lake Erie Monster

Well will you take a look at that, Corey got himself another IPA. I promise I have some other interesting brews to try, but for now you will have to settle for hearing about my Saturday night IPAs!

I found this particular IPA while up in NY a couple weeks ago. I am not sure if Great Lakes Brewing Company distributes here in Virginia Beach, but I know that I have never seen this eye catching bottle art before. This beer poured with a monster, 4+ finger head that faded slowly into a more reasonable 1 1/2, and it leaves a nice, light lacing. It is a golden orange in color and is quite clear. I am punched in the nose with huge malt odors immediately. Expecting these malts to be very forward in taste, I was pleasantly surprised to by the forward taste of light, fresh hops. But wait. Give it a second. BAM! There ya go! Big bitter aftertaste and a slam of malty sweetness round this beer out. This is a strange balance, because with a beer this big (9.1% ABV), usually intense hops are used to balance out the big malts. This one eases you into the intense flavors, starting you out with those nice, citrus hops then hitting you with the intensity. To wrap it up, this is different, delicious, and I will actively seek this out in the future. Good work, Great Lakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment