Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bell's Stout Double Feature

Ok guys, let me start by apologizing. It has been way too long since I have last posted. And I know what you've been thinking: I have to get the bills paid, take the kids to soccer practice, I hate my job, etc. In truth, you probably haven't concerned yourself with my lack of posts. But if for some reason you have, it may have crossed your mind that I probably haven't stopped trying new beers just because I stopped posting. And right you are! So today you will receive an onslaught of posts! First up, Bell's Java Stout!

This offering from Bell's Brewery pours thick and dark as they come with a thin, mocha head. The nose is all up in your face with the coffee beans accompanied by some roasty, toasty malts. Needless to say, the big coffee nose got me excited, because coffee stouts are just great, especially when they really showcase the coffee flavors rather than just hint at them. But enough sniffing, its time to get to the goods! Taking a sip of this is... wow! Intense! I'd describe this one using 3 B's: Big. Bold. Bitter. This stuff tastes like a strong, dark roast coffee. Hard to search for much else here, because the coffee is what it is all about, but the malts are still there when your looking for them. I think this beer is great, but it isn't going to appeal to everyone. If you aren't big into coffee but want to try a coffee stout, don't start here. Ease yourself in with something more mild, because Bell's goes all out with this one.

Now, if coffee is just not your bag (baby!), you can grab Bell's Cherry Stout instead! Another dark, almost black brew, this beer's mocha head was present only briefly. Could be my pours, could be the beer, who knows? Anyways, the smell of this beer is heavenly! Chocolate covered cherries overwhelm the nose on this one, complemented by some barely there coffee notes. I really like when you can tell just by the smell of a beer that you've got something special. This one does not disappoint. A quick sip and BAM! tart cherries are all up in your mouth! This transitions into a smooth chocolate flavor, followed by an almost sour finish. This one really hits the flavor spectrum hard, and I may even claim it has one of the more complex flavor profiles I've tasted. Now, I read up and some people say the flavors mild out with a little age. Mine was just about as fresh as they come (Bottled about a week and a half before). I personally would chase these freshies like an IPA for the flavor I got, but some people might prefer the more mild option. Regardless, this one is something special, and I went back and got a six pack to share with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment