Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dogfish Head's Kvasir

Almost everyone in the craft beer world knows all about Dogfish Head. If you don't, allow me to lift the rock you've apparently been living under. Dogfish Head is a brewery in DE, and they are famous for pushing the boundaries when it comes to beer. They like to use unusual ingredients, and have a few beer/wine hybrids out there. They also have a series of Ancient Ales, in which they recreate beverages from eons past with the help of a bio-molecular archaeologist. How cool is that? Kvasir is the latest  of the Ancient Ales, premiering just last month, and modeled after material recovered from a 3500 year old Danish drinking vessel (more info here) I don't know if they categorize it as a hybrid beer, but I would, and I loved every sip of it.

Poured into a tulip glass, Kvasir pours a brownish-red with an just slightly off white head. Fruity and tangy nose, the cranberries really come through in the smell. The taste is where this thing gets a little tricky to place. The tangy, cranberry notes are rocking out forward, as I had both anticipated and hoped for. After that, I had a hard time placing the taste. The fruity flavors follow through with an almost cider flavor, also some red wine notes there. Like I said, its bizarre and hard to describe. Don't take that for a negative, however, because in this case bizarre is a great thing! Cranberry comes back in its bitter form to wrap up Kvasir with a dry finish. This is a great beer for any occasion you would pull out a nice red wine. I wish I had a second bottle for Thanksgiving; perhaps I will come across one. At any rate, if your not shy about trying new things (don't be), go grab a bottle of this if you can find it. It is fantastic, and once again shows what greatness can come from pushing the creativity boundaries. You rock, Dogfish Head. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment