Thursday, November 21, 2013

Great Divide's Yeti

Let's face it, Yeti is all over Instagram. It seems like everyone is drinking this stuff. I take that as a sign a beer is good. Unfortunately, we didn't get Great Divide beer in this area for a little while. I didn't look into the reasoning, but I heard that it was once here and it went away. Sadly, I shelved my dreams of trying this beer and tried to forget it for a while.When I had nearly forgotten about it, my friends at Grape and Gourmet announced it was back on Facebook, and I was stoked! 

Yeti is an imperial stout that pours as black as night with a thin, dark brown head. The nose reveals great coffee notes as well as some roasted malts. The taste quickly reveals this creature of lore isn't messing around! Sweet caramel notes lead to big roasted malts, finishing up with some serious bitterness and booze. What I found unusual is both the bitterness and the booze flavor eased as it warmed (I sipped this one pretty slowly). The after taste left behind is similar to that a good coffee would leave. I really enjoyed that this stout smoothly bridges the very different flavors that are typical from this style. Usually an imperial stout does one or two of these flavors and does them well. Yeti is much more complex, and it pulls it off. This is my first Great Divide beer, and I can't wait to try some more!

PS: The light lacing left a nice little heart on my glass! Twoo wuv!

No comments:

Post a Comment