Tuesday, December 24, 2013

12 Beers of Christmas: Beers 6 and 7

Oh snap, its Christmas eve beer lovers! Haha and I am only up to 7 of the 12 beers... oops. That's okay, if I manage to sneak the others in tonight and tomorrow that's great. If not, no big deal, right?

I thought for a little bit which order I would drink these festive delights, but one was obviously had to be number six: Goose Island's Sixth Day. We've all heard the song, but apparently we never knew what those six geese were a-layin'. As it turns out, it was big winter warmers! I need to take a moment to state that I did not heed the recommended glassware though I do own it. I was feeling fancy. Anyways... Sixth Day pours a dark red brown with a one finger tan head that faded into a light cap. The nose is dominated by big sweet malts with a slight fruit tang. Sweet caramel and malts are at the forefront of this brew and are greeted with some pretty intense bitterness and a significant alcohol bite. It is 8.3% ABV, and it chooses to let you know. After a few sips, the shock of that bitterness wears off and allows some tangy notes to come through. In my opinion, this is a beer that demands to be sipped. It overwhelms the palate if enjoyed too fast, but slow sipping allows it to showcase its complex profile. Hints of gingerbread appear as it warms, which I found quite interesting. Overall a solid, interesting brew, though I could not have more than one in a sitting.

Beer number 7 is a much more session-able beer, which could be why it has been dubbed Accumulation. This White IPA from New Belgium pours very pale, light gold with a fluffy white head like the snow its named for. This head fades to a cap and leave behind lots of delicate lacing throughout the drink. The nose is a bouquet of lovely, light citrus hops. At first sip one word comes to mind: Drinkability (not even a real word, as it turns out). This stuff is incredibly light, but unlike some of the other light beers out there, this stuff has actual flavor! Refreshing citrus hops fade to a smooth, slightly sweet fruit finish. There is some bitterness there that balances flawlessly with the sweetness. New Belgium proves once again, you can have light, drinkable beers without sacrificing flavor. What a fantastic beer. Consider this my vote for it to be added to your year round lineup, New Belgium. I will be awaiting your reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment