Saturday, December 14, 2013

12 Beers of Christmas: Beer 1

Cheers! Tis the season, folks, and everyone gets merry in their own way! For us craft beer nuts, the great holiday beers available this time of year certainly keep us jolly! So I decided to do a 12 Beers of Christmas series, counting down to Christmas day! You won't find any Lords-a-leaping in these blog posts, but hopefully you'll find a brew or two you will want to seek out for your holiday festivities. There may be a bonus beer or two in there somewhere, but I only bought 12 holiday beers that I will write about as I enjoy; anything else is just extra. But enough rambling, time to get to it!

First up is Troeg's Mad Elf! Mad Elf pours a deep, clear ruby red with an off white head that dissolved almost immediately. Sweet, yeasty notes on the nose suggest that I should expect some Belgian qualities in this beer. Woah. Just sipped this thing and it is pretty intense. The first flavor that hits my mouth is really hard to place. Glancing over the bottle, and I am going to call that the honey they put in there. It is a quick, sweet note that is quickly replaced by a combination of cherries and those lovely Belgian yeasts (Note that I am only assuming that is the kind of yeast they used based on flavor. Could be something else, but that is what it tastes like). This beer is a little sweet, a little tangy, and all dangerous. I have had 7% beers that show their alcohol more than this. Thank goodness for companies that label their bottles with alcohol content. 11%ABV! Time to slow down, Corey, you're playing cards with the neighbors tonight and should probably be in good form. In closing, Mad Elf is a very smooth, warming beer. It doesn't show its alcohol at all, and it is much different than a lot of the Winter Warmers that you get during the holiday season (many of which will make an appearance in the coming days). Cheers!

Oh, and FYI, many beer stores have a gift box with a Mad Elf glass and a 22oz bomber in case you need some last minute shopping ideas. I know I certainly wouldn't complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment