Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dogfish Head/ Stone/ Victory's Saison du Buff

A few months ago I was up in Springfield, VA for a concert (Streetlight Manifesto). Springfield is a weird town, and I was really early, so I was trying to find something to do. Beer shopping was a natural first choice. So I popped into the local whole foods and along with some great brews I found something unexpected. A collaboration between Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory: Saison du Buff. Three great breweries, so obviously I was intrigued. Problem was, these bottles were from last year and I wasn't sure how well this style ages since it is not one I drink on a regular basis. I took the risk and snatched up a few bottles. I shared all but one before I had this blog (taking no notes, sadly), and opened my last one tonight. So disclaimer, this interpretation is of a 2012 bottle, and I have never had it fresh.

This golden yellow nectar poured with a thick, two or three finger white head. Now, when I say thick, I mean I literally tossed a bottle cap on it and it didn't think about sinking through the head.Sweet, citrus notes on the nose along with some interesting spices. I am not too familiar with this style so I struggle to describe the flavor. Nice, light spices are forward followed by sweet, tangy lemon notes. Wrapped up with a little something that tastes like it came out of my spice rack (It does have thyme, rosemary, sage, AND parsley in it) along with just a little bitterness. I imagine those forward spice notes are provided by the above listed herbs. I am not sure how different this brew is now compared to fresh, but I really enjoyed it. This particular bottle is Dogfish's version of the brew, but apparently all three breweries release it. I am curious if there are any differences between the bottles. Guess I'll just have to get a hold of all three and find out! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment